Facebook – Announces Plans to Build Data Center in Ireland
“The facility, Facebook‘s sixth data center globally, will run on renewable energy and utilize Open Compute Project hardware.” – Tom Furlong, vice president of infrastructure, said in an announcement.
Facebook‘s CEO Mark Zuckerberg describes it as-
“I’m proud to share that Facebook’s sixth data center is now under construction in Clonee, Ireland. This will be our second European data center, after Luleå in Sweden. Data centers deliver all of Facebook’s services to you. They’re some of the most complex machines ever created.
Clonee Data Center will be one of the most advanced and energy efficient data centers in the world. It will feature the latest server, storage and network designs developed through the Open Compute Project, and will be powered by 100% renewable energy. One interesting engineering detail is that we’re cooling the facility with outdoor air, but because this is near the Irish Sea we’ll be using an indirect air cooling process to filter the salt from the air.
We’re glad to be investing in Ireland, to become a part of the Clonee community, and to continue building the massive infrastructure that connects our global community.”
Vice President of Engineering at Facebook, Jay Parikh also shared the information on social media by saying-
“Today we announced our plans to build a new data center in Clonee, Ireland.
This will be our sixth data center overall and our second outside the US. Like our Fort Worth, Altoona, and Lulea data centers, this location will be run entirely on renewable energy, thanks to the copious supply of wind energy that already exists in Ireland. This will help us reach our goal of powering 50 percent of our infrastructure with clean and renewable energy by the end of 2018.”
- It is Facebook’s 2nd data center in Europe and sixth overall.
- Clonee Data Center will also feature a 100GbE fabric network leveraging building blocks like Wedge, FBOSS, and 6-Pack.
- They will outfit this data center with the latest OCP server.
- The data center will also contain one of the advanced storage hardwares.
- These technologies will help make Clonee one of the most advanced and energy efficient data centers in the world.
- Will be powered by 100% renewable energy source.
- The data center will use Irish Sea air as an AC.
- The project is expected to support 2,000 jobs during the construction phase. This is the second such facility built outside the United States.
Keep visiting for more tech updates.
Till next Keep Sharing & Tweaking! 💡