Create and format new partition on hard disk
Whenever we supposed to do any authentic work, we must be logged in as an administrator. So creating a new partition or volume on hard disk is also an authentic task for which a user must provide administrator password to proceed further.
For creating a new partition on hard disk, there must be either unallocated disk space or free space with an extended partition on the hard disk. If there is no unallocated disk space, we can also create by shrinking an existing partition or deleting partition or by using third party partitioning software. The partition of disk can also be used to install various operating system known as multi-booting that enables to choose the one you want to boot.
For now, you have to just follow few simple steps to do the partition.
Note: Creating new partition on a basic disk, the first three will be formatted as primary partition and beginning with fourth, each one will be configured as a logical drive with an extended partition.
Here are the steps to be followed.
- Open the computer management by clicking the right button of the mouse on my computer icon present on the desktop screen.
- Find & click the Disk management under Storage in the left panel of the opened window.
- If an unallocated disk space is available there, then right click on unallocated region and then click on New simple volume.
- In the New simple volume wizard, click on Next.
Or if there is no unallocated disk space available, then right click on the partition with free space and then click on Shrink option.
- Now enter the Size of the volume you want to create in megabytes (MB) or accept the maximum default size, and then click on Next.
- Now accept the default drive letter of choose a different letter to identify the new partition, and click on Next.
- Now the Format partition dialog box will open, and you can do one of the following.
- To format the volume with default settings, click on Next.
- If you do not want to format now, then click on Do not format this volume, and then click on Next.
- Now review your choices, and click on Finish.
To format an existing partition
- Right click on the volume you want to format, and then click on Format
- Click Ok in the Format dialog box to format with default settings.
Note: Formatting an entire partition will destroy data on the disk. Be sure to back up the data before proceeding further. You cannot even format the partition that is currently in use or that contains windows (Operating system).
Thank you for your patience 🙂